why does my honey get funny?

posted by sometrouble @ 12:22 AM | Test Category Two | Wednesday, September 19, 2007

...and other puzzles from my kitchen.

I decided tonight, as I was making tea in my kitchen after work, that some things in my kitchen needed further investigation. Like why does honey turn to a solid when the bottle gets down below half?And what's with that expiration date? Is that October 24th? And what year? What decade? Is it 2008? (I hope) Is it 1999? Who knows. What does expired honey do to you anyway? Is it as bad as expired milk? Eww...sure doesn't look or smell as gross, thankfully.

Since we're on the subject of non-solid items becoming solidified...another little annoyance in my kitchen is my salt constantly turning to a brick in the shaker. See exhibit...Note that the shaker is upside down. I don't know why it always does this. My mom's never did this as often as mine does. I must have a very humid house.

Oh there are many more things to share with you from the dark corners of my kitchen. Many of them are gross, some are puzzling, and some are just plain bizarre. I'm embarrassed to admit the things I've discovered that mold can grow on. However I am strangely delighted every time I find something really disgusting...and have to show the hubby. He usually doesn't share my enthusiasm. This is the product of my good intentions to eat produce and cook more, thwarted by us both working afternoon shift with different days off. So I'm gonna make this a periodic entry...exploring new kitchen experiments each time, and sharing them with you.

Now I wish i had taken a photo the time the bananas mysteriously turned to liquid in the fruit bowl two days after I bought them...

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try rice in the salt. That absorbs the moisture and your salt should be ok. Or try Sea salt, it's already in rock like form anyway.
-Jenelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home