Busy Summer

posted by sometrouble @ 3:23 PM | Test Category Two | Thursday, July 05, 2007

We've been keeping busy. Working and filling our off days with activity. I have a day off today because of yesterday's holiday. Chad couldn't get the time off unfortunately. I spent the morning doing some laundry and sewing some curtains for our spare bedroom. They look ok, despite all the problems I had getting the sewing machine to do what I wanted it to.

Here's a question: What can you do with a bachelor's degree in chemistry?

I am finding that the answer to that is: nothing.

I don't have enough education or experience to get a job as a Chemist, and I am over qualified to work as a Laboratory Technician. Michigan's economy is so bad also...and we are unable to move to accommodate my career due to Chad's career. I am just having a hard time finding something I am interested in that utilizes my education.

You know, we've been so busy, and now that we both work afternoon shift, I haven't cooked dinner in almost two months. I think I'm forgetting how to cook...and where I keep things in my kitchen. My husband has been asking me to make Lasagna. I've never made it before...and I haven't really felt like undertaking that lately. Maybe I will this weekend, I know it will make him happy.

5 Comments:

At July 05, 2007 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand your frustration with your degree! I have the same one...hence the reason Im going back to school!

Hope everything else is going well! How are you liking your new job? Talk to you later!

P.S. Whos the cute puppy?!

 
At July 06, 2007 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,

I complete understand your frustration also with the degree that you have. I am basically in the same boat.

Don't you wish someone would have told you about this when you first decided to major in Chemistry. I sure do. I probably would have changed my mind and did something else.

I am actually looking into going back to school after Olivia is born and trying to find a different career path. Perhaps business or something like that. I am just not sure. I need something else to help me move up.

I hope all is well. Hope to talk to you soon.

I agree with Emily C. I want to know who the cute puppy is to.

 
At July 06, 2007 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you can't do much with ANY Bachelors degree these days (although you can do more with a chem bachelors than with most other ones)! Hence the reason why I have finally decided to sign over the next 4-5 years of my life to get my PhD in chemistry...ugh...

Isn't it kind of strange though, how a bachelors doesn't seem to mean much, now that so many people go to college? I was just thinking about this the other day when filling out all my grad school forms, so it is kind of funny that you wrote about it :-)

Good luck finding something that is more stimulating and appropriate for you!

 
At July 07, 2007 9:39 AM, Blogger sometrouble said...

Thanks girls! It does suck...but it is nice to know that I'm not alone in the frustration. The puppy belongs to my next door neighbor. She has tried to give her to us several times...the puppy loves Chad...but he doesn't want a dog right now.

 
At July 11, 2007 6:35 PM, Blogger Liza said...

Michigan sucks!!! In the last four years I have been unemployed three times!! Fired once (went to court, I won) and laid off twice!!!!! SUCKY!

Doggy is SOOO CUTE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home