crunching numbers

posted by sometrouble @ 1:29 AM | Test Category Two | Monday, November 12, 2007

I did the math.

The results are not good.

My new car tells me I average 20 MPG.
+
Work for me is 40 miles away.
+
5 days a week I drive there and back.
=
Each day I drive 80 miles, using 4 gallons of gas.
In a week, I use 20 gallons.




Gasoline prices lately have been $3.25 a gallon.
x
4 gallons
=
$13.00 a day it costs me TO GO TO WORK.
$65.00 a week.
$260.00 a month.
$3,380.00 a year.


I should also mention that my car has a 16 gallon gas tank. Should I calculate the cost of my time spent filling it up more than once a week?

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eek! plus the planet hates you.

 
At November 12, 2007 9:14 PM, Blogger sometrouble said...

Believe me, anon, if I felt there was something reasonable I could do to change this, I would. I'd prefer not to turn an 8 hour work day into 10 hours with almost an hour commute each way. There is no workable way for me to take public transportation (unless I want to make that a 3 hour commute)...and anyway Detroit buses are not safe for a woman by herself at 10:30 PM. Nobody I work with lives near me to carpool, and Michigan's job economy is so bad that this is the closest job I could find that resembles the career path I went to school for four years to get to, right now. My goal is to land a career with another company much much closer to my home, however I need the current job to gain experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home