Caramel Apple Cheesecake!!!

posted by sometrouble @ 5:09 PM | Test Category Two | Monday, November 20, 2006

I promised Rachel in the comments of the post below, that I would divulge my secrets of CARAMEL APPLE CHEESECAKE...it is super easy, but some of you dedicated bakers might be disappointed to know that I didn't make it 100% from scratch. I do have to say, that it turned out very yummy...and I would recommend this recipe as "tested and approved!"
The base of the cheesecake is Krusteaz brand Apple Crisp. The recipe for the cheesecake modification comes on the back of the box. I had never noticed the brand in the stores until this year. Their website states:
In 1932 a group of women from a Seattle, Washington bridge club decided that making a pie took too darn long. So they took it upon themselves to create the world's first easy-to-make pie crust mix. Thus the words "crust" and "ease" were put together for the very first time to form our name Krusteaz. Catchy, isn't it? Since then, in this quiet little corner of the country we've been very busy. That original pie crust rescipe was so delicious that in just a few years, it inspired a whole world of baking mixes from breads and muffins, to specialty dessert mixes. Whatever you're hungry for, Krusteaz products are easy-to-make and easy to enjoy.
It is true, the products are tasty, and seem about as close to "homemade" as you can get from a box. All of their dessert products have recipe ideas to "enhance" the dessert from its "out of the box" form. I have also tried the mango and key lime bars...they are super good too...I liked the key lime ones a little better than the mango...as did most people at the party I served them at.

Ok, ok, before I get an angry mob here, I will give you the recipe!
You will need:
1, 27 oz package of Krusteaz Apple Crisp Mix (1 pouch each of the crisp topping mix and the apple filling)
5 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
16 oz (2 regular packs) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
caramel dessert topping

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place crisp topping mix in medium bowl. Cut in butter or margarine using a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Reserve 1/4 cup of this crumbly crisp topping mixture. Spoon remaining mixture into lightly greased VERY IMPORTANT! (I forgot, and it was really hard to get out of the pie plate) 9-inch deep dish pie pan (this is important, mine ALMOST overflowed all over the oven when I added the cheesecake...also, as it cooks, it puffs up and may crack apart, just watch it if you don't have a deep pan). Press evenly into bottom of pan. Spread apple filling over crust. Set aside.

In separate bowl (a deeper bowl works better here...less splatter mess), place cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, mix on low speed 30 seconds or until smooth. Add eggs and continue to mix on low speed an additional 30 seconds or until well blended. Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over apple filling layer. Sprinkle with reserved crisp topping mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes or until center does not jiggle when lightly shaken. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle with caramel topping. Chill several hours or overnight. (I let it cool on the counter until I could handle the glass pie plate, then stuck it in the freezer for about 1 to 2 hours. I cut it into pieces and drizzled each one with caramel when I served them. It looks nicer -- the caramel doesn't get all messed up and goo up your knife when it is cut.)

Makes 16 servings.
Let me know if anyone tries it...I would really love to know if you liked it too! If I try any more of the recipes on these products, I will post here about how they come out. I probably will try more, since I have been really happy with the ones I've had so far. So many people have asked me for the recipes...I still can not believe it is from a box.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*drool* Thank you so much for the recipe! I can't wait to make it. Lovely picture too... did you take it or is it a stock photo?

 
At November 20, 2006 10:29 PM, Blogger sometrouble said...

I wish i took it...mine didn't turn out that nicely after I forgot to grease the pan...it still tasted great...but not so pretty. The photo is actually on the back of the box, and I stole it from the website. I think the gorgeous photo was mostly what made me opt for the extra work in the cheesecake version rather than the plain old apple crisp version.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home