birthday present dilemma

posted by sometrouble @ 10:33 PM | Test Category Two | Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ok, so my birthday is in a little over a week. We have been very busy getting started on a BIG home project. During our many frequent trips to Home Depot and Lowe's, we began looking at storm doors for our front entry. Currently, we don't have one...and I would really like to be able to open the door in the summer and have a breeze coming through the screen. Plus, I could see a little daylight, and feel the draft through the edges of the door this winter...so a storm door would also help with our energy efficiency next winter. Home Depot is running a special on installation until the end of March...so this would be a good time to get it done.

Originally, we thought we'd install ourselves...but our front door has a sidelight, and some decorative boxing around the door, which doesn't leave the sides of the door even on both sides for simple installation. So we figure with the sale, it would be worth it to pay someone else to do it. I REALLY want this door....a little more than I think Chad does. He doesn't really consider it a giant priority considering what we've got on our plate to do right now. Enter the very hard decision, that I CANNOT make on my own...

Would you take this as a birthday gift?You see, I teasingly asked Chad yesterday if he was done shopping for my birthday. He told me that honestly he hadn't really thought much about it with planning everything. A little while later, while we were talking about the door...he suggested that he would buy me the door for my birthday.

Well, I DO really want it. I'm afraid it will get pushed off for a long time. But, if I say "yes" then this year it's a door...next year it will be a vacuum cleaner or a dishwasher...and the era of gift appliances will begin. Plus it is just sort of a disappointing no surprise gift to get...not even ON my birthday. I want it...but not as a birthday gift. I want him to think of something thoughtful and surprise me next Sunday.

However, if he wanted to get me this as a birthday present...I wouldn't have to think about the answer for even a second...heck yeah!

5 Comments:

At March 16, 2007 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think if a major concern in your day is what type of label a luxury purchase such as this will have, you're one very lucky gal indeed.

 
At March 16, 2007 2:13 AM, Blogger sometrouble said...

I don't really think of the door as a luxury purhase...it will save us from running air conditioning in the summer as much...saving us money...it's more of an investment; and only in my wildest dreams would I ever get a tub like that. We would love one...but at over $3000 it is well out of our budget and then some.

 
At March 16, 2007 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at anon. Geez, st, you're so spoiled wanting a door so your house will be sealed. haha! Some people.

Anyway, I think the door should be a mutual purchase. Either you two buy it together as a house project, or you buy it "for eachother" on an anniversary or other special day. The tub on the other hand? Hell yes, that's a PERFECT gift. You can't take a steaming bubblebath in a silly ol' hdoor, am I right?

 
At March 16, 2007 7:09 PM, Blogger sometrouble said...

thank you, LL. We have agreed to get the door, now. The big question now is whether to get the Anderson one from Home Depot, or to get the Pella (Larson) one from Lowes. They have some slightly different features...and both Chad and I don't really have a preference...we keep telling each other to "pick whichever one you like better".

 
At March 16, 2007 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ennie Meenie Mynee moe it! That always works! I personally would take it as a gift. Only b/c there is really nothing that I need, I'd take a quiet night at home w/ my hubby with some wine and a bath over a dinner out with gifts anyway. Sometimes its the pratical and simple gifts that mean more then anything. Besides, then you can always use that as a converstion starter when people come over... However, if the blenders and brooms become common gifts, then I'd reconsider!
-Jenelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home