accumulation

posted by sometrouble @ 11:08 PM | Test Category Two | Sunday, March 18, 2007

I have too much stuff that I don't need. I have been unpacking boxes and re-organizing things for storage. And man, do we have a lot of stuff that I don't know what to do with. I have always been a pack rat...and not so good at the organization thing. There are incriminating photos of my old bedroom at its worst...and believe me, it was BAD.

Now, I am just finding that so much stuff that was important to me at one time, no longer has a place in my life. I just can't let it go. I used to collect road signs...I thought they were cool. Now I have so many that came from all different times and places, and I don't want to get rid of them...but I don't really want to make them a part of my decor.

I find myself so much more ready to pitch Chad's old stuff. He collected a lot of junk too. Like mine, it all got boxed up and brought over when we merged our lives. He doesn't seem as attached to most of it as I am...so why can't I discern what's worth keeping and what's worth letting go?

P.S. Tigger's not going anywhere...I love Tigger...I have always loved Tigger...and my sister brought him to me from her Senior Trip in Florida.

5 Comments:

At March 19, 2007 8:02 PM, Blogger Allie said...

It's always hard to part with all the stuff and junk that's been accumulated over the years. I lost a lot of things I would probably still deem important when we moved from the Midwest. Alas, there was a huge yard sale which resulted in my My Little Ponies going to different homes. That was something I still would have held on to if I had more of a choice. Poo.

I would say, save things your kids would enjoy or that shows them who you were as you grew up. Or things that were major milestones or important gifts.

 
At March 19, 2007 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Em, I had that problem too. I didn't want to "throw anything away" but didn't have a place for it. So, I made a compromise... I kept the things of major "significance" and dontated the rest. The stuffed animals went to my PD, the make up, lotions, hair stuff, clothes etc went to either garage sales or sisters. You have a unique angle tho. Use your stuffed animals as photo backdrops or props for the kids you photograph, you get some good use out of your "old stuff" and to them it's new. Keep old toys for the kids that come over to play, and they will have "new stuff" to play with too. The road signs would be fun to hang in your garage, so whenever you pull into the garage you can always have a laugh at the "No parking" sign near your parking spot. It'll personalize the garage too. Not o mention be a fun conversation point during gatherings. Or they would be fun to give away as funny gifts to people or white elephant gifts during Christmas time. Trust me, you will see even the items you don't want to throw away can have uses again. Just gotta think outside the box! -Jenelle

 
At March 19, 2007 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, you can always donate things to the local high school or theater groups. They are always looking for new and free stuff to use either now or later on. This way they get a use all over again... or there is always the magic of ebay! -Jenelle

 
At March 20, 2007 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i try to adopt the idea that it's best to travel lightly on the earth, carry with us lots of happiness and many memories, but fewer physical posessions. this is especially useful in the here and now, but definitely applies to "accumulation" tendencies as well. of course sometimes a memory is tied to a certain physical item, and of course we're going to buy things in the here and now "just because" we like them, but generally speaking the rampant capitalist nature in this country is appallingly excessive and wasteful, and we should all try to buy less.

 
At March 21, 2007 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah: another helpful idea is to have a policy wherein for every new item you bring into your home, you get rid of one item you already have. if you're trying to reduce clutter, maybe make it 2 itesm for every one you bring in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home