A new endeavor

posted by sometrouble @ 10:26 PM | Test Category Two | Monday, November 27, 2006

I wish I had more time to play. Less time at work, less time commuting, and less time doing housework. I want to let my creative side loose...but there is never any time. I got adventurous, and decided that I want to take the first steps to becoming more of a professional photographer. I made cute little flyers, and sent them to all my friends and family with small children, asking them to allow me to build my portfolio by taking free photos of their kids. I bought two moderately priced strobe studio lights, with diffusor and reflector umbrellas...and I bought out half the fabric department at Jo-Ann's to use as backdrops. I've been gathering ideas, and trying to figure out how to rig my backdrops up. I've been trying to come up with some sturdy table or platform ideas for kids to sit on. I was really excited about the whole thing...

Tonight, I got my first "taker" on the offer. She is the sister of a very good friend, and she has about a 3 year old daughter (and a baby on the way). Now I am very nervous. What if I can't meet her expectations? What if I can't get the kid to smile? What if I have a problem with the settings on my camera, and my first attempt doesn't turn out well?

In addition to all those worries, it suddenly seems like I have so much to do to prepare. I have to get a functioning studio together ASAP! They are coming over this Saturday to do it. I really wanted to start out with some babies...they can't run off, and don't feel uncomfortable. I thought my first sitting would be with my friend's 6 month old son. Since I decided to do this, I have come up with so many cute ideas for newborns and babies...and I've been a little scared and feel unprepared to shoot older children. I guess just doing it will get me comfortable with it. If anyone has any advice about photographing kids, feel free to share. Wish me luck, and please send some prayers and good thoughts my way for things to go smoothly this weekend.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 27, 2006 10:08 PM, Blogger Oberon said...

.......you look like some trouble.

 
At November 28, 2006 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let ME know what you figure out in regards to photographing kids. I tried to take a few "portraits" of my Niece this weekend and was horrified at how difficult it was.

I'm sure you'll do a great job but like I said, SHARE your tricks woman! ;-)

 
At November 28, 2006 1:49 AM, Blogger Allie said...

How exciting! I've always wanted to get into photography but never had enough money to buy a decent camera...

Hey, I'll come and do a sitting for you! That would be fun!

Good luck with all of that and have fun!

 
At November 28, 2006 9:18 AM, Blogger sometrouble said...

thanks soozieq and alyson...I hope it is not to hard. I tossed and turned in bed last night dreaming and lying awake thinking about it. Some sort of weird mix of excitement and worry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home