Rubber ducky, you're the one...

posted by sometrouble @ 1:46 PM | Test Category Two | Friday, March 30, 2007

So far we have the walls framed, the copper plumbing run, the ducts in, and the electric half done. We are planning to put a whirlpool tub in the bathroom down there, because the other two bathrooms in our house have very small standard tubs...and being 5' 10", I haven't fit in a bathtub in years. I like baths. I miss them. (It is even harder to try to cram a 5'10" person and a 6'0" person in a standard tub at the same time. We tried, it was not pretty. The tub overflowed a little, and dripped through to the basement floor.) We're thinking we want one that is 72" long, and at least 36" wide...42" would be better.

We were going to wait on the tub for expense reasons...and worry about that later. The problem is, we need to get it down the stairs...and with a 90 degree turn at the bottom...we should try to do it before we put up the drywall, in case we need to cut the walls to fit it down. I just want a large tub. I could do without the jets and everything...as long as I can fit most of my body in the water. But we found one that is made exclusively for Lowe's by jacuzzi...and it is affordable with the jets. We will probably even add a heater for about $200...because it holds 81 gallons of water...which will probably take our hot water heater to it's limit. It's not 100% decided yet...but we saw one at a bath showroom that actually cost $9,999.00. It looked like any other whirlpool tub. That's insane...and like 10 times what the Lowe's one costs, which is still a lot...but it is a luxury we both want, and are willing to pay for since we plan on staying in this house for many years.

I know someone who had a jacuzzi tub in his house which he purchased off eBay. It was brand new, but deeply discounted because a contractor ordered it for a new build house...and the owners didn't want it because of a tiny non-damaging scratch in the acrylic. I have been keeping my eyes open for something like that as well.

Our new storm door came in, and I picked it up yesterday! I can't wait to get it in...but we have a tricky install because of some aluminum trim around the door. So we have to wait until a friend who knows what he is doing can come and help us. It is getting nice and warm outside.

Earlier, Chad and I went for a bicycle ride. It was nice...we only went 3.5 miles...but I am so out of shape, that my legs felt pretty rubbery after that. There was about a 10 mph wind blowing against us for about a mile...so that made it interesting...especially going uphill. This was the third time I've been out on my bike this year. Chad likes to run. I don't. I will ride my bike along with him, though. It is nice, and we both enjoy doing it together. I feel better about getting a little more activity into my life. I never needed to exercise for weight reasons...I am blessed with a fantastic metabolism, so far (knock on wood). But I am realizing how much better I feel when I do a little regular activity. Especially now that I am such an "old woman"...seriously, I'm not 17 anymore...and I can feel it. Really, I am thin, but I am in terrible physical shape. I have resolved to work on that. Hopefully, when my metabolism slows down, I will already be in the habit of exercising...and it won't be so hard to maintain the body I am used to...even after I have kids.

Something that I really want to do is the Zoo-de-Mackinac. I first heard about it last year. We couldn't go, because we were getting married! You can read all about the event...but the basics are: it is 51 miles, takes 6-7 hours of ride time, gets over 2,000 participants, and you see beautiful northern Michigan. It is extra special for us, because we get to spend time on Mackinac Island where Chad proposed to me in 2004. (we haven't been back there since). It seems like it would be difficult...but I have to think that if 2,000 people can do it...along with kids...how hard can it be? Plus the website states this:
Anybody who is in average physical condition should have no trouble going the distance. The first half of the ride is a little hilly and the last half is relatively flat. The distance makes you feel like you've accomplished something but will leave you with plenty of energy to continue on until late in the evening.
I really want to do it sometime...and if it is fun...I want to keep doing it every year...and get friends to join us...and do it with our future kids. So, I've got a little over a month to decide if my body is up to it. I am going to try to push myself and ride a little more every time we go. I didn't really feel like riding today, but I am glad we did it. I am going to try to push myself to do some kind of training for this, and see where I'm at in a month. Anybody want to come do it with us? C'mon, you know it will be fun! What I'm really wondering is...can my butt handle 7 hours on a bicycle seat???

2 Comments:

At April 03, 2007 12:07 AM, Blogger Allie said...

...I'll make your bath time lots of fun ;o)

 
At April 03, 2007 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em... good luck on the basement project. I sent you an event invite on your myspace. If you get the chance, check it out. We hope you can make it! -Jenelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home