Molasses Crinkles

posted by sometrouble @ 10:44 PM | Test Category Two | Friday, February 02, 2007

Just finished making molasses crinkle cookies. My mom used to make them, but this is the first time I have ever made them. They sure are tasty...but mine came out a little differently than hers always do.

I will share the recipe with you...although I just got it out of my fabulous Betty Crocker cookbook:
Molasses Crinkle Cookies

Mix thoroughly:

3/4 cup soft shortening
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses


Sift together and stir in:

2 1/4 cups Flour
2 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger

Chill dough. Roll into balls the size of large walnuts. Dip tops in sugar. Place sugar-side-up, 3" apart on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie with 2 or 3 drops of water to produce a cracked surface. Bake just until set but not hard.

Temperature: 375
Time: Bake 10 to 12 minutes
Amount: About 4 dozen 2 1/2" cookies.

Except, I made mine a little smaller than a large walnut, I think. Also, I baked the first set 10 minutes...and they were a little too crunchy. The second ones only went for 9 minutes...they are better, but I might even do them less time next time. They don't look like my moms do. Hers are not as flattened out...and the cracks on top are more defined. I don't know why mine aren't like that. They still taste great, though. If anyone else makes them, let me know how you like them!

*EDIT* If you forget about the "sprinkling two or three drops of water on each cookie" part, they come out a little bit more like the way I thought they were supposed to (and I only gave these 8 1/2 minutes):



I have this lamp...I love it. My grandparents found it on someone's trash pile with the cord cut. My grandfather re-wired it, and I saw it sitting in their basement and asked them about it. (I wanted it) They said they picked it up for me. (I was so thrilled) But it had a really dated looking lampshade. (not the one pictured...it was actually WORSE!) They let me trade shades with one of their old lamps in an extra bedroom, so I got this one that is decent. It has a couple spots that are worn...and one little cut in one side.

I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement. A friend suggested something like a rice-paper shade. Trouble is, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a drum lamp shade this size anymore. Any stores only have the short little ones. I have yet to start going to expensive specialty lamp stores because they are...well...expensive. I need help...I even searched online without much luck. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. I really want to get it updated...but I am getting nowhere finding anything.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At February 03, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Allie said...

mmm, those cookies are making my mouth water!

I'll have to try my hand at making them too :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home