winter weather

posted by sometrouble @ 2:02 PM | Test Category Two | Thursday, January 18, 2007

tree in our front yardIn my last post, maybe I shouldn't have been complaining about the lack of wintry weather we've been having.
bush in our front yardMonday night we got hit by a winter ice storm. All the rain froze. Everything was coated in tiny icicles. It was very pretty...all the tall grasses and tree branches were glittering in the sun. It was also very heavy, causing lots of branches to fall and causing power lines to go out. It was estimated that about 120,000 customers lost power this week. Ours went out on Tuesday morning around 9:00 am. We spent the day running a few errands, and I sat at Caribou Coffee for a while with the laptop and knitted while enjoying a gingerbread latte. (too bad those are only seasonal!) Chad got up on the ladder and broke the ice off of our gutters so they wouldn't get clogged and water won't leak under our shingles.
tree again
Our house is really well insulated, so it didn't get too cold inside. We keep the thermostat at 62 F at night, and by 5:00 pm it had only dropped to about 56 F.
bush in our yardWe decided to take the cat and spend the night at my grandparents' house since they are in Florida anyway. So I packed everything up, and we ran out to get some dry ice to keep the freezer cold. When we got back with $20 worth of dry ice, we found that our electricity was back on. Go figure. We were some of the lucky ones though, many people have been without power since as early as 4:00 am Monday morning. Around 20,000 still had no power yesterday afternoon.

little tree with a budI have got the knitting bug...I learned how to knit as a child, but never made anything more than a very crooked piece of a scarf out of miscellaneous scrap yarns that I got from my mother and grandmother. It was only about a foot and a half long. In the past two years, I picked it up again. I made a few pretty scarves out of fancy yarn...but no fancy stitches, just straight knitting (garter stitch). I could never even remember how to purl. I suddenly have the motivation to teach myself more. I have always been crafty, and it is really fun. I'm trying my hand at a felted booga bag. I will post pics when I finish it. It is going very quickly.
tree in our yard

Well, gotta go be productive today. Lots to do. Take a look at the other ice photos, throughout this post, which I took in our yard (click for larger images).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2007 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the bag! Very pretty! :)

We got all snow up here...about 6". Im glad it wasnt all ice! I have a friend in Missouri that got slammed with the ice storms over the weekend and yesterday was their third snow day so far this week. Crazy!

Hope all is well. Talk to you soon.

 
At January 19, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Allie said...

I saw someone with a booga bag the other day! I was trying to figure out how they made it. The lady said her daughter knit it but then it also looked felted, so now that makes sense after looking at the directions.

Felting is really fun. We teach classes on it where I work. Though we teach more needle felting than wet felting (what you are doing with this bag).

Anyway, I could ramble away...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home