Shine On, You Crazy Diamond

posted by sometrouble @ 3:15 PM | Test Category Two | Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I was told once by my uncle that I was named after a song called "See Emily Play" by the band Pink Floyd. He said the song influenced my father to choose my name. My parents (especially my dad) did like Pink Floyd alot then. I heard them playing the very bizarre psychedelic rock song on the radio when I was out to lunch today. It was a station that I wouldn't have thought would be playing such obscure classic rock. Then after I heard the song, I found out why. Syd Barrett one of the original members of the band and the writer of many of the band's early songs, died at age 60 of complications from diabetes.

David Bowie did a cover of "See Emily Play" for his "Pin Ups" album. He said Barrett had been a "major inspiration," and "his impact on my thinking was enormous. A major regret is that I never got to know him. A diamond indeed." A joint statement from the band states that "Syd was the guiding light of the early band lineup and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."
Syd left the band in 1968 due to mental instability, which was made worse by his use of LSD, he was replaced by David Gilmore. Barrett did some solo recordings then went quietly to live back in Cambridge, England. The remaining members of Pink Floyd recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate. Even throughout the albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall," themes of mental illness can be seen.
Watch the music video for "See Emily Play" here at Google Video.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home